Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cold virus, Me and Garlic...

If there is a common disease I hate with a vengeance and a MASSIVE one at that is the common cold. My father forever believed that if I were in India and somebody in Antarctica caught cold, I would too... I mean I am so prone to it, its not funny! 

Medicines don't work on me anymore, and hence I have invented (along with my dad of course, who is a obsessive compulsive cook who likes inventing new dishes) many a remedy from natural ingredients rather than popping pills. 

I have caught cold again now and this reminded me of writing what I do to cure it. 
Spinach and garlic soup:

Ingredients:
1.) 1 bunch spinach
2.) 2 or 3 cloves garlic ( use 2 if u really can't stand garlic)
3.) 2-3 green chillies (reduce if you can't stand even little bit chillies)
4.) 1 inch garlic 
5.) 1/2 a normal sized onion.
6.) Salt 
7.) Pepper ( a fist-full, powdered or crushed)
8.) Vinegar
9.) Water 

Method:
1. Take the spinach bunch and remove the central thick white portion of the spinach leaves ( coz it is very fibrous and will ruin your soup).
2. Boil spinach leaves well in little bit water (I like to boil all leafy and green and most other veggies as well.. One cannot be sure of what is lurking in it... worms in mean) - also boiling softens it.
3. After it is well boiled, remove water and  put it in a blender or mixie and put in the chillies, garlic, ginger, 1/2 an onion cut in lumps for easy grinding and little bit water.
4. Grind it well... till it looks all soupy... add water if required , if its too thick i.e.
5. Pour out in a vessel that you can microwave or boil. Add salt to taste and pepper.... 
6. Heat the soup till it becomes warm and get it off the gas/microwave..... and in the end add vinegar ( little bit).

Hence, one of the MOST effective remedies for common cold is made!! :) I also do fermentation ( i.e steaming my face/nose) along with it and dunk myself under the layers in bed having rubbed vicks on my nose. So all in all, either in a few hours or the next day morning  - most of the cold ( the worst part of it atleast) is gone!! 

Hail garlic really, if i could I would frame a pic of it and pray it ... :D....

No comments:

Post a Comment