Monday, December 12, 2011

Stooped in tradition - Chennai

Every trip to the south of India makes me wonder WHY most people are drowning in tradition to the point of being stifled by it. I don't agree and it makes me wonder more and more... I might be wrong, but I do not see too much reason in praying and praying and praying some more .... being scared and praying more n more. 

As always, most of my thoughts have a flip side. Forever on an analysis mode. I wonder if sticking to traditions like mad, keeps on an 'overall' the traditions of ancient India intact - like nowhere else in the world (like I know anything much about most parts of the world :P). Maybe older people in other countries go mad sticking to their roots and traditions as well. Who knows :)... I do know, that some of it is without much reason - even to the people following rituals and mindless routines- and I do have a problem with 'blindly following whatever is being asked by the community'.

South India also has a heavy chauvinistic tone to it. You would find it hard to miss the male bastion-ish undertone to almost everything. Woman put up with it - out of habit. I disagree to it too... quite much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment