Monday, November 14, 2011

The incessant noises of India

And lo! we landed in New Delhi, the capital of India - full of sentiments on returning home.... only to quite abruptly starting to feel the jarring noises and traffic and people who forever seem to be jostling each other... sigh :/ ... instant reminder of why 'being abroad is not such a bad thing after all'. BUT then you see your folks, immensely overjoyed at seeing you return :) - and voices in your head vaporize temporarily.

When you drive in Delhi, there is a character transformation that takes place - you really really really get mad at people on road - at first, you might be one of those who says 'you first sir'; Give yourself say 3 hours doing that  - and perhaps you'd be changed for life! Chivalry and Delhi drivers DO NOT and I repeat Do Not go hand-in-hand. Nobody would return your courtesy and be considerate and let you take some of their space. That's just not how people here are wired up. I solely blame it on the brash, showy, 'me first' behavior of the mixed culture especially induced by the nuvo Punjabi's in the city. I don't mean all Punjabi's are like that, but most of them are very showy and blingy - and hence their attitude which reflects on everything. There is something very lecherous about the Delhi male - if you are a neutral observer, you'd feel they are not getting much action at home or have an insatiable sexual appetite perhaps. Whatever it is, its disgusting!! 

What I looovvveee about the city is also numerous. I love Gulmohar trees - most of my childhood is attached to it. It bears wonderful red flowers and they look awesome - and story bookish! I also miss the 'Adhan' by the muezzin in local mosques all around Delhi! - 4 times a day they do the service, screaming "Allah uh Akhbar" - the sound of which is imprinted indelibly in my subconscious memory. I cannot describe how lovely it sounds to me!

More on my stay in Delhi later.... I gotta rush right now...

- Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment