Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"So...Where are you from?"

A common question i get asked often is "Where from??".. Its valid considering its something normal. But the paradox lies in the fact that on a day-to-day basis the cities/ natives i am supposed to belong to doesnt seem to be keen to call me its own :/ ...
 I am born and brought up in Delhi.. so my home is that... I am a hybrid South Indian ( a Kerala and a Tamil combo) so Palakkad (border Chennai and Kerala) is my native. I am now 1 1/2 yrs old in Mumbai, so i live in this city [ and scream "Jai Maharashtra" d instant i spot trouble wid the Shiv-Sena folks (an extremist clan prevalent here) and punch d air reaffirming my pseudo loyalty).
 The resultant is alienation... literally!!
 Delhi always second-names me as a "Madraasi" meaning someone from Chennai or randomly from the South of India even after being a second generation of that city. Now Delhi also tags me as a "Mumbai-waali"!
 Mumbai calls me a "Dilli-waali" @ from Delhi or sometimes a "Delhi-girl" ( which apparently happens when i irk someone or they feel put down...( yea yea there is not too much love flowing b/w the two cities)).
 Chennai thoroughly gets repulsed courtesy looks and habits from Delhi. ( South Indians and North Indians also don't love each other too much). Even my cousins refuse any form of Hindi usage in conversations... ( considering my poor and much hybrid/mixed/mashed tamil, we are left with English or in extremes... telepathy or even sign language :D).
 'INDIAN'!!!... yeh!... perhaps d Indian Railways or Airways would acknowledge ownership!
( btw... i love Delhi and Mumbai both, without bias - and i also declare that i am the only person i know who doesnt take sides with the cities :) - Seriously!)

3 comments:

  1. Suja

    i remember us chatting abt this.. i guess back in my chennai days... the feeling's definitely mutual :) but dun worry... i'll always be company for the beech ke bandar gang :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. did ya really go Jai Maharashtra? roflmao imagining u doin tht!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are actually great ideas in about blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant factors here. Any way keep
    up wrinting.

    Have a look at my blog ... Green Coffee Fat Burn Diet (http://physgame.com/)

    ReplyDelete