Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"Ganesha on the dashboard" by V. Raghunathan and M.A. Eswaran



A book gifted by my mum-in-law this. From the cover-page one thinks its some funny or perhaps sarcastic take on some Indian superstitions and our multitude of gods. The small review at the back of the page gives a clearer picture though. Its a very informative, sarcastic as well as witty take on the concept of gods and the weird Indian belief in everything "supernatural". 

Ask me, I debate with my folks and have fought on things I have never been able to comprehend. Imaginably I finished the book in 3-4 days flat! It has given me more meat in my never-ending talks and debates with my folks and other elderlies I know (I shall not name 'em)...  Hence, I am happier than ever to promote it here.. If you are ever interested in the "ether"ly being ... read this book for your own sake - It is very informative!

The book starts with paradoxes we Indians happily take to... for eg: we break coconuts and do "Gaadi puja" (Vehicle prayer) and spend money on bribing gods into saving our behinds from accidents but refuse to wear seat-belts! Such and many other examples are given (quite true believe me). It also analyzes extensively our collective lack of scientific temper... (again very very true)... mindless unquestioning belief on customs and culture ...without correcting or correlating them with scientific understanding or advancements in the form of proofs and explanations that are readily available nowadays.Any form of challenge posed on our gods is always marked as a mark of disrespect - not only on the gods but the clan, elders and such. ( Hence, I hold a pretty bad name in my clan, mind you.. without any guilt ;) ).

I won't post spoilers on the narration - you have to read it to understand concepts coherently... I also wish (as the book also says) that Indian people develop a healthy questioning Scientific Temper. That would help us deduce logical explanations for things that happen to us; and not just a fatalistic belief on everything beyond our comprehension... it is also about developing the willingness to try and change!






No comments:

Post a Comment