Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Test Pilot" by Neville Duke

Flying and flight is a heart-warming subject to me! I dug this novel out from Melville, 7th Lane (in Johannesburg CBD area) where you find these nice old and new book stores, one of which also sells used books at heavy discounts!! I mean where else can i find a Bernard Shaw at 13 Rand?!!! I mean i had to chuckle at that while buying it, and asked the shop-owner to "be rest assured" for seeing me come and buy again and again!!



Anyways, back to "Test Pilot" ....  it's an autobiography of a person who is a superb pilot and a great pioneer who tested the Hawker aircraft and broke sound barriers ( Mach levels) several times!! :) He had also played active role in testing many other new and modified supersonic fighters and dedicated his entire life to it!

He comes across as a reserved but jovial person heavily dedicated to his tasks, and an innate need to be in the pulse of things - rather than enjoying various accolades that came his way. I loved his potrayed persona!

The only thing that perhaps is a little weird, is the way the writer narrates everything - there is something very cold and impersonal about it. ( Atleast i felt so!) ... and he doesn't seem to be very overtly bothered about his parents and sister, neither they about him - although in all probability they might have been, but nothing of that emotional angle has been mentioned much.... I mean, the reason i even mentioned that kind of lack of feeling is because - if i were to imagine myself in his shoes... my mom and dad... along with my sis would have been breathing down my neck and asking me to "Be safe" a zillion times, until i am thoroughly bugged with their concerns! 

But what an awesomely informative read!!!... :) ( sigh!)



No comments:

Post a Comment